Monday, May 10, 2010

Its unofficially Bobby Orr day, because I say it is


I love my Edmonton Oilers, but I place hockey higher on that pedestal. So that is why I am able to appreciate what today is for the Boston Bruins, their fans, Bobby Orr fans, and fans of hockey.


If you were a child wanting to play in the NHL back in the six team league you knew that you had to be pretty special and that the competition would be fierce. Imagine for a moment what it was like for 12 year old Bobby Orr, being not only scouted, but courted by the Boston Bruins at 12 years old. Young Bobby handled all of the pressures that came along with being a star and a celebrity much better than anyone does now; likely because these are different days, but I like to think it was because Bobby was not only a fantastic hockey player, but also because he is a fantastic person.


Can you imagine a world where hockey player salaries weren't known, or where they were barely making enough to live off of simply because there were only so many teams, but plenty of players willing to play for less. Bobby Orr helped to change the treatment of players, for the good. Should hockey players be making as much as they are? Well what about the owners, we have to take a look at the numbers they are bringing in before we start spouting off on players, well that's what I think at least.


If you haven't ever read "Searching for Bobby Orr" by Stephen Brunt, I highly recommend that you pick it up, its well worth the read.


Tonight is a big game for the Bruins, they have a chance on the 40th anniversary of "the goal", Bobby Orr's flying Stanley cup winning goal celebration to close out their series against the Philadelphia Flyers. Whether or not you are a Bruins fan I think that you can still look back in awe at what happened this day in history. Appropriately Bobby has a statue outside of the Gardens now, as a Canadian I can appreciate that, as a hockey fan I can celebrate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment