Thursday, May 13, 2010

Calgary Folk Fest

A couple of years ago, I had heard of the folk fest but never attended. I was shocked in that year to read the lineup, Blue Rodeo, Nikko Case, City and Colour, Hawksley Workman, Rufus Wainright, etc, but those were the names that stood out for me.

Lets fast forward now through the past two years, and even this year. I appreciate full well that this event tried to introduce us to music that we have never heard before but might enjoy, but why not also consistently try to pull in artists that have general crowd appeal? Stars? Really?! Really? I couldn't even tell who was supposed to be the headliners when I looked at the list of artists, no offense to their fans or to the bands that will be there. I loved the Smalls, I still love Corb Lund, but I could see him three times a year if I wanted so he's not going to be enough to get me down to the grounds to spend my time and money. Who knows, I may have a change of heart, or maybe my one year of folk fest was just a flash in the pan, never to be seen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment